Serves: 5 Carbs per serving: 7
This delicious chicken jalfrezi recipe is a perfect healthy option for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Tender chicken breast is cooked with plenty of vegetables and a blend of fragrant spices, creating a mouth-watering dish that is sure to be a hit with the whole family. For a complete low-carb meal, serve the jalfrezi with cauliflower rice.
· 500g chicken breasts (or about 400g leftover cooked chicken), diced
· 3 tsp olive oil
· 1 tbs butter
· 4 echelon shallots or 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
· 3 red chillies, deseeded and sliced
· 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed or finely minced
· 1 tsp ginger puree
· 2 tsp garam masala
· 2 tsp smoked paprika
· 3 tsp turmeric
· 3 tsp cumin
· 3 tsp ground coriander
· 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
· 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
· 500 ml passata
· 250 ml chicken stock
· Fresh coriander or parsley leaves, to serve
1. (Omit this step if using cooked chicken) Heat a large saucepan over high heat. Coat the chicken in 1 tsp olive oil and a big pinch of salt. Add the butter and chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned on all sides and just cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Turn the heat down to medium-high and add in 2 tsp olive oil and the red and green peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until softened.
3. Add the red chillies and shallots/onion and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add in the garlic, ginger, garam masala, smoked paprika, turmeric, cumin, and ground coriander. Cook for a further minute, stirring continuously.
5. Add in the passata and chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes until thickened.
6. Stir in the cooked chicken and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Top with fresh coriander or parsley and serve.
8. Leave any leftovers to cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer to reheat another day.